Friday 17 April 2009

Ethical discussion

Lukas Renggli just made this posting to the Seaside mailing list:

--------------------------------------------
Please ignore this guy and the posts he is writing. He is a troll. Indeed, he was calling me yesterday on my work phone. Without introduction he was insulting me and the whole Seaside community. He eventually hung up without having identified himself and without letting me finish my explanations.

Cheers,
Lukas
--------------------------------------------

I have to put things right, because there are a few lies in these words:

1) "He is a troll"
I take Seaside most seriously. We have invested a lot of time and money and cannot afford to continue having massive problems because of the undocumented and badly designed code in Seaside.

2) "he was insulting me and the whole Seaside community"
That is blunt lie! After saying my name, I started my phone call with these words: "We have now been working with Seaside for several months and in my 10 years of Smalltalk experience I have never come about such an undocumented and in major parts badly designed code. I offer you my help in documenting and improving Seaside, because it is very important for us."

The immediate response of Lukas Renggli, without asking any questions or wanting to know my ideas, was to tell me "to choose Ruby, because Seaside is one of the best pieces of Smalltalk around".

He showed to be completely immune to advice ("beratungs-resistent").

3) He eventually hung up without having identified himself
This is another blunt lie! I introduced myself at the very beginning of the phone call.

4) ...and without letting me finish my explanations.
The third blunt lie! After Herr Renggli made very clear that there was neither a need nor any interest for improvements and collaboration I told him that I have rarely met such an arrogant person and I then hung up, simply because it was clear that this would not lead to anything at all.

Let me make clear: Seaside is extremely important for us and I am just not willing to continue to live with the compromises resulting from my critics.

I am not doing this here for fun! I see this going public as the only way to put some pressure on this rather "conspirative" community who is not open to outside critics. And many of these people consider themselves as experienced Smalltalk gurus who neither need documentation nor advice.

Otherwise they would have documented in the first place. The reactions on the mailing list so far show well that I am right.

No comments:

Post a Comment