Wednesday 15 April 2009

On the darker side of Seaside

The Seaside web server library has often been praised to give Smalltalk a new boost. This is certainly true but things look a lot different when it comes to the practical usage and implementation of Seaside.

This is why this blog is primarily discussing the darker aspects of the Seaside design and implementation besides discussing general aspects of programming in Smalltalk.

Therefore, please don't expect too much of praise from me. You will primarily read critics and a lot of concrete engineering proposals to improve your work in Seaside and Smalltalk.

Of course, I first called Lukas Renggli, the European Seaside advocate, offering my help for documentation and improvement of the "object-orientability" of the Seaside code.

Lukas Renggli showed to be totally immune to advice. He did not even listen to my arguments! After my first critics (missing doc) he immediately said that this was one of the best pieces of code that exists in Smalltalk (I will prove him wrong in this blog) and he recommended me to use Ruby if I was "incapable" of using this "brilliant" (but undocumented) code. I have rarely spoken to someone so unconditionally arrogant and ignorant.

This is how I came to write this blog.

Another subject: Don't expect me to be politically correct!

This stupid "PC" is a US American invention that nobody needs with a goal to control, manipulate and spiritually suppress open minded people by trying to enforce them to lie or at least to deny the truth. I will never allow anybody to manipulate me like that and I will speak out open and free words and withstand this dangerous epidemic political correctness.

Therefore, from me people still die and do not "pass away" (what a stupid term!) and they are victims of genocide and murder instead of "ethnical cleansing". Don't worry, this blog is not on politics but this is where one finds the most drastic examples of this mental sickness called PC.

Last technical aspect: I am dictating these texts with voice recognition, which is a very fast and efficient way to write down my thoughts but which often leads to being careless when proofreading the text. Also, English is not my primary language.

4 comments:

  1. Hi

    Just started reading the blog but have not gone into the meat of it yet...but I found it interesting that you use voice recoginition...what software do you use?

    Keep up the good work, going to go through it as I am always on the lookout for ways to improve my (Smalltalk) OOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seaside is not a web server !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the exact technical sense you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NaturalSpeaking

    It's much better in Deutsch than in English, because English has so many similar sounding words (I speak clean Oxford English). I use both. My French and Spanish aren't good enough. :-(

    ReplyDelete